[GNC-dev] Interest

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 09:01:21 EST 2018

Hi
I am not an original developer on this loan assistant.
However I think that the original loan druid was designed to
calculate/estimate the loan repayment amounts, assuming a conventional
loan, with a non-zero interest rate.
If the interest rate was zero, there would be little need for a loan druid.
e.g. original loan = $1,000 and 20 repayments of $50 each... A simple
calculator would do the trick.
I do not think there has ever been a policy against having a zero-rated
loan... but I think that the loan module has not been properly tested with
such figures. So, I am not entirely sure that a "simple refactoring" is a
good description of the process; it would require a complete review of the
loan assistant, and more testing of code to handle zero-interest loans, to
ensure crashes such as division-by-zero do not occur.
There is very little time developer CPU cycles available for such work; if
you are able to assist in reviewing code, enabling and testing, you are
very welcome on board.
So I think, at least, the "Loan Repayment Calculator" message "The interest
rate cannot be zero" should really be "The loan calculator does not handle
zero interest rates."