Future allocated money, aka Envelope Budgeting

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 08:44:59 EST 2018

Hi Wm

I wished to experiment in what budgeting should look like by using the
existing engine, UI, and reporting infrastructure.

It's actually not that difficult to create a 'budget balance
calculator'; whether it meets the needs for everyone is another matter.
But for people who wish to experiment with envelope budgeting, I can
confirm that it is possible.

Rules are:

  * budget transactions must be "outside the books" so to speak, i.e.
    they are not counted in any net worth, profit/loss, transaction
    report, etc. they must be, by default, invisible to the reporting
    engine.
  * in order to be acceptable by the engine, they should they should
    satisfy the double-entry equation.
  * it should be generally useful
  * it should be better than the current budget

So this is actually a success. I don't use transaction voiding, and have
hacked "voided transactions" to become "budget transactions" and
upgraded the status bar display. The results are available on the
topmost commit in
https://github.com/christopherlam/gnucash/commits/envelope-budgeting as
a demo of "what can be achieved using the engine". But I stress this was
an experiment.

HTH.