Future allocated money, aka Envelope Budgeting

Wm wm_o_o_o at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Feb 4 13:07:24 EST 2018

On 04/02/2018 13:44, Christopher Lam wrote:

> I wished to experiment in what budgeting should look like by using the
> existing engine, UI, and reporting infrastructure.

If you want to know how one form of budgeting, that which includes
envelope budgeting budgeting is likely to be implemented from a working
point of view I have already said look at ledger-cli, beancount and
friends.  gnc is *not* going to reinvent the excellent work that has
been done there for the simple reason that it would be a waste of resources.

The UI is, of course, the problem hampering gnc vs keeping up with the
family.

> It's actually not that difficult to create a 'budget balance
> calculator'; whether it meets the needs for everyone is another matter.
> But for people who wish to experiment with envelope budgeting, I can
> confirm that it is possible.

I know that!  There are lots of free spreadsheet versions.  The bit that
baffles me is why some people pay someone else to say budget this way
rather than that.

> Rules are:
>
>   * budget transactions must be "outside the books" so to speak, i.e.
>     they are not counted in any net worth, profit/loss, transaction
>     report, etc. they must be, by default, invisible to the reporting
>     engine.

yup, you read from the db for that

>   * in order to be acceptable by the engine, they should they should
>     satisfy the double-entry equation.

nope, informal budgets can include single entry, they can include
"inheritance from Aunt Mabel if she dies before Christmas"

>   * it should be generally useful

there lies the rub, generally useful to which group of users ?

>   * it should be better than the current budget

or less bad :)

> So this is actually a success.

Did you vote for Trump?  Success seems an obscure term these days.

> I don't use transaction voiding, and have
> hacked "voided transactions" to become "budget transactions" and
> upgraded the status bar display. The results are available on the
> topmost commit in
> https://github.com/christopherlam/gnucash/commits/envelope-budgeting as
> a demo of "what can be achieved using the engine". But I stress this was
> an experiment.
>
> HTH.

You have made a basic error in that the budget impinges on actual.

Think of it from a business POV, "We'll buy 100 widgets next month if
the price is right", your budget, if I am reading it right, doesn't see
that as a plan but an action.  No way will that ever hit real code.

Also voided tx although little used, actually do something if only to
stop other things happening at times.  I think they might already be
re-purposed in a way.

===

Christopher, have you got an sql backend working ?  Ideally with
Sebastian's python bits as well ?

--
Wm