Future allocated money, aka Envelope Budgeting

Wm wm_o_o_o at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 7 01:00:09 EST 2018

On 06/02/2018 12:10, cicko wrote:
> GnuCash - Dev mailing list wrote
>> for e.g. I am, at the moment, in the process of doing my multiple view
>> portfolio analysis starting from
>>
>> https://www.ledger-cli.org/3.0/doc/ledger3.html#Asset-Allocation
>>
>> which is more or less what envelope budgeting is plus a bit.
>>
>> see
>>
>> https://www.ledger-cli.org/3.0/doc/ledger3.html#Working-with-multiple-funds-and-accounts
>
> Thanks a lot for these links! I was not aware that ledger had asset
> allocation.
> This might save some effort in writing gnucash portfolio extensions
> (https://github.com/MisterY/gnucash-portfolio). Perhaps I could even
> interface to ledger-cli or another ledger client from Python.
>
> A quick question, though - what do you guys use to have an up-to-date
> records in ledger? How do you use (or export) GnuCash book into text files
> appropriate for ledger?

if you are already using python piecash is a good place to start

===
https://piecash.readthedocs.io/en/latest/news.html
===

I know he used to have a ledger-cli export but I can't find it right
now, probably my fault for looking too quickly.

I don't actually export all of my gnc to ledger for asset allocation, I
just create tx like this

===
2018-02-03	Buy Fund1
   Assets:Broker  1000000 "Fund1" @ 100.00
   Assets:Cash

2018-02-03	Buy Bond2
   Assets:Broker  9999999 "Bond2" @ 50.00
   Assets:Cash
===
using the investment portfolio report as my source.

If I was doing asset allocation monthly or weekly I'd automate it a bit
more using piecash or some handwritten sql

> Now I'm thinking how good it would be to have a translation layer that
> provides the data from a GnuCash sqlite database to ledger.

piecash should save you a step

P.S. I've just noticed MisterY already knows about piecash, silly me :)

--
Wm