price.date, transaction.post_date and neutral time

Wm wm_o_o_o at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 12 09:17:39 EST 2018

On 11/02/2018 12:33, Sébastien de Menten wrote:
> When exporting data from SQL backends, I see some inconsistencies in the
> handling of some date & datetime columns.
>
> In the prices table, when adding price via the price editor, I see in the
> date column a datetime with the UTC of the YYYY/MM/DD 00:00:00 of my local
> timezone (CET).
> For instance, for a price on 11/02/2018, I see  20180210230000, which is
> the UTC value for 11/02/2018 00:00:00+01:00.
> What is the reason of having the prices.date as a datetime type (vs a
> simple date type) ?
> Shouldn't it also be stored as  20180211105900, i.e. in neutral time as the
> field transaction.post_date ?
>
> In the transactions table, the post_date is handled as a date in gnucash
> but stored also in a datetime type with the neutral time (10:59:00).
> So for a transaction on 11/02/2018, I see 20180211105900.
> What is the reason of having the transactions.post_date as a datetime type
> (vs a simple date type) ?
>
> If the reason are mostly legacy, are there some plans to change that in 3.0
> ?

IIRC the discussion at the time was about whether gnc should or could be
used for trading.  the result was "no" and it was decided that the price
db should only have one entry per day (some people wanted multiple
entries per day in an attempt to use gnc for trading, that was never
going to work as gnc is a crap model for all the other stuff short term
traders need, like quick graphs, moving averages, etc).

given that, are you unhappy with the way gnc records date / price
combinations ?

--
Wm