price.date, transaction.post_date and neutral time

Alen Siljak alen.siljak at gmx.com
Mon Feb 12 09:27:17 EST 2018

   This is interesting information.
   I am currently separating the Asset Allocation logic into its own
   Python package, for direct use (cli) and potential library reuse
   between GnuCash Portfolio and an Android app (perhaps an add-on for
   MoneyManagerEx or who knows where it leads).
   In any case, it seems that Prices seems a likely candidate for
   separation, as well, as that can definitely be reused by multiple
   projects, contains simple data, and can get huge hence it seems better
   to have it separate to the main database.

   Now, this raises an interesting question of whether GnuCash would
   benefit from the same concept and perhaps reuse the price db. This
   might even be invisible to an average user but someone more advanced
   could take advantage. The internal GnuCash logic could remain
   more-or-less the same, in getting the latest price for the day only.
   I think a single table might be enough for this purpose, pretty much
   what's in GnuCash now. I have not yet looked into details for this.

   I'm wondering what the opinion here in the project would be about such
   an idea in terms of reuse and/or tools for populating and reading the
   database.
   I will definitely be creating a separate project for this, just hoping
   someone else is interested.