price.date, transaction.post_date and neutral time

Wm wm_o_o_o at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 12 13:34:20 EST 2018

On 12/02/2018 14:27, Alen Siljak wrote:
>     This is interesting information.
>     I am currently separating the Asset Allocation logic into its own
>     Python package, for direct use (cli) and potential library reuse
>     between GnuCash Portfolio and an Android app (perhaps an add-on for
>     MoneyManagerEx or who knows where it leads).

MoneyManagerEx is single entry and will never get approval in the double
entry community.  I like they way they do reports, but their
understanding of accounting is broken.

>     In any case, it seems that Prices seems a likely candidate for
>     separation, as well, as that can definitely be reused by multiple
>     projects, contains simple data, and can get huge hence it seems better
>     to have it separate to the main database.

All of the main text accounting projects can get prices in near real
time.  They deliberately don't do minute by minute.

>     Now, this raises an interesting question of whether GnuCash would
>     benefit from the same concept and perhaps reuse the price db. This
>     might even be invisible to an average user but someone more advanced
>     could take advantage. The internal GnuCash logic could remain
>     more-or-less the same, in getting the latest price for the day only.
>     I think a single table might be enough for this purpose, pretty much
>     what's in GnuCash now. I have not yet looked into details for this.

We spoke about this before.  gnc is a bad platform for trading, end of
discussion.

>     I'm wondering what the opinion here in the project would be about such
>     an idea in terms of reuse and/or tools for populating and reading the
>     database.

My advice is don't go there.

>     I will definitely be creating a separate project for this, just hoping
>     someone else is interested.

There is lots of scope in other projects, I don't like people forcing
one to be another