Scheduled Transactions Calendar

cicko alen.siljak at gmx.com
Sun Jan 14 10:54:43 EST 2018

Just a quick update and info in regards to productivity.

I've spent some time trying to access GnuCash data using the two approaches:
1. c# DllImport, and
2. build GnuCash with Python bindings on Windows

Long story short, after wasting many hours without seeing any meaningful
results nor any light at the end of the tunnel, I decided to stop and go do
something more productive instead. This exercise reminded me once again that
I want to think in terms of portfolio value calculation, asset allocation
percentages, or generation of scheduling calendar and not think about
passing pointers to functions or running unit tests with 32-bit engine
instead of 64-bit, etc.

So, in the version using PieCash in Python, in a fairly short time (just a
couple of hours, I think), I had a working version of the calendar with
upcoming scheduled transactions:

<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t377766/2018-01-14_16_40_36-Calendar_-_GnuCash_Portfolio_-_Firefox_Developer_Edition.png>

While I might continue with efforts using the first two methods, I'm not
sure if it would bring any difference or benefit at this time.
Using c# imports provides direct access to C/C++ functions and there I
really don't feel like making dozens of function calls or translating all
the involved structs just to get a list of scheduled transactions. This path
is more-or-less a dead end, I think.
Python bindings still seem attractive, though. There I got stuck on htmlhelp
installation where I already have a newer version and the one specified in
the scripts won't work. I might continue hacking that at some future point
but I'd much rather spend that time developing some portfolio tools than
working out the compilation process for a non-multi-platform binary.
The story continues...

--
Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-Dev-f1435356.html