Scheduled Transactions Calendar

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Jan 14 11:36:05 EST 2018

> On Jan 14, 2018, at 7:54 AM, cicko <alen.siljak at gmx.com> wrote:
>
> Just a quick update and info in regards to productivity.
>
> I've spent some time trying to access GnuCash data using the two approaches:
> 1. c# DllImport, and
> 2. build GnuCash with Python bindings on Windows
>
> Long story short, after wasting many hours without seeing any meaningful
> results nor any light at the end of the tunnel, I decided to stop and go do
> something more productive instead. This exercise reminded me once again that
> I want to think in terms of portfolio value calculation, asset allocation
> percentages, or generation of scheduling calendar and not think about
> passing pointers to functions or running unit tests with 32-bit engine
> instead of 64-bit, etc.
>
> So, in the version using PieCash in Python, in a fairly short time (just a
> couple of hours, I think), I had a working version of the calendar with
> upcoming scheduled transactions:
>
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t377766/2018-01-14_16_40_36-Calendar_-_GnuCash_Portfolio_-_Firefox_Developer_Edition.png>
>
> While I might continue with efforts using the first two methods, I'm not
> sure if it would bring any difference or benefit at this time.
> Using c# imports provides direct access to C/C++ functions and there I
> really don't feel like making dozens of function calls or translating all
> the involved structs just to get a list of scheduled transactions. This path
> is more-or-less a dead end, I think.
> Python bindings still seem attractive, though. There I got stuck on htmlhelp
> installation where I already have a newer version and the one specified in
> the scripts won't work. I might continue hacking that at some future point
> but I'd much rather spend that time developing some portfolio tools than
> working out the compilation process for a non-multi-platform binary.
> The story continues...

If all you want to do is read the data for portfolio calculations there’s yet another option: Query it directly. The usual way discussed here is to use one of the SQL backends and write SQL queries, but if you’re familiar with XML tools like XPath and XQuery you can do the same on an uncompressed XML backend file.

Regards,
John Ralls