gnucash 2.6.19 dutch translation

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Jan 19 00:03:53 EST 2018

> On Jan 18, 2018, at 5:27 PM, Paul de Vries <paul.de.vries at xs4all.nl> wrote:

>>> these texts are available in po/nl.po from github.
>>> i did the conversion: msgfmt -v po/nl.po -o /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/gnucash.mo
>>> and restarted gnucash.
>>>
>>> the texts are still not translated.
>>>
>>> what did i do wrong?
>>> what should i do to correct?
>>

>> The nl.po in GitHub is the same one that's baked into 2.6.19, so recompiling it isn't going to change anything. From a brief look at the code it appears that the strings are marked for extraction to msgids in report/business-report/taxinvoice.scm but that gettext isn't actually called on them... but it's option text and the option system is pretty convoluted so I might have missed it.
>>
>> For anyone else looking into this the strings are defined at taxinvoice.scm lines 225-234.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>
> 1) sorry for my misunderstanding:
>
> from gnu cash.org <http://cash.org/> download mac osx intel
> http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gnucash/Gnucash-Intel-2.6.19-1.dmg <http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gnucash/Gnucash-Intel-2.6.19-1.dmg>
>
> ls -l /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/gnucash.mo.bkp
> -rw-r--r--@ 1 paul  admin  509687 Dec 17 17:31 /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/gnucash.mo.bkp
>
> from git clone
> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash.git <https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash.git>
>
> ls -l  ~/Develop/gnucash/gnucash/po/nl.po
> -rw-r--r--  1 paul  staff  968123 Jan 19 01:54 /Users/paul/Develop/gnucash/gnucash/po/nl.po
>
> i think that they are NOT the same.
>

> 2) my question remains:
>
> i made an insignificat change to the .po, run mnsgfmt and copy the .mo to the app.
> i verified that the change is present in the app .mo
> it is not pcied up by gnu cash.
>
> i still dont understand how to do it right. please explain.
> if you say that the option system doesnt use the .mo please explain how other option texts do get translated.

Of course nl/LC_MESSAGES/gnucash.mo isn’t the same file as po/nl.po aren’t the same. The former is compiled from the latter. You can’t rely on the timestamps of files from a git clone: They’re the time you ran git clone, not the time the file was committed to git. git log will tell you when the file was committed.

But sorry I wasn’t clear enough: The problem isn’t with the translation file. It already has the translations of the strings you’re complaining about. The problem is that the code doesn’t correctly request the translations so they’re not used. Frank has pushed a change to fix that, and it *might* work to copy that file into your Gnucash.app. “Might” because there is also a precompiled version of that file and the Guile interpreter may decide to use it instead of the copied-in source file. If that doesn’t work you’ll have to wait for the next release.

Regards,
John Ralls