Building on MacOS - jhbuild difficulty

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Jan 21 12:36:30 EST 2018

> On Jan 19, 2018, at 1:46 PM, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 18, 2018, at 1:26 PM, R. Victor Klassen <rvklassen at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> After a few years of being too busy to try working on the code base, I thought I’d make another attempt at installing a development  version of GnuCash.  Following the instructions on https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSX/Quartz <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSX/Quartz>, I began by creating a new user, to be certain the environment wasn’t polluted by my previous attempt.
>>
>> I was successful in downloading gtk-osx-build-setup.sh
>>
>> I then ran it from the command line, and after a half-dozen or so tries, succeeded.   (prior attempts hung at 9% or less complete - I presume this is temporary).
>>
>> There were three warnings:
>>
>> WARNING: aclocal not available (usually part of package 'autoconf')
>> WARNING: automake not available (usually part of package 'automake')
>> WARNING: yelp-tools not available (usually part of package 'yelp-tools')
>> Configuring jhbuild without autotools
>>
>> Are these a problem?
>>
>> I then pulled down http://github.com/gnucash/gnucash-on-osx/raw/master/.jhbuildrc-custom <http://github.com/gnucash/gnucash-on-osx/raw/master/.jhbuildrc-custom>
>>
>> At this point I attempted to uncomment the line
>>
>> skip.remove( “bash” )
>>
>> But it wasn’t in there.   So I added it, and when I attempted to run jhbuild it complained.  So I removed the line.  Is this it no longer a relevant instruction?
>>
>> I then attempted to run
>>
>> jhbuild build openssl
>>
>> Which yielded the response:
>>
>> jhbuild build: failed to parse /Users/gnucashdev/Source/jhbuild/modulesets/http:/git.gnome.org/browse/gtk-osx/plain/modulesets-stable/gtk-osx.modules: <http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk-osx/plain/modulesets-stable/gtk-osx.modules:> [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'/Users/gnucashdev/Source/jhbuild/modulesets/http:/git.gnome.org/browse/gtk-osx/plain/modulesets-stable/gtk-osx.modules' <http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk-osx/plain/modulesets-stable/gtk-osx.modules'>
>>
>> At which point I am not sure how to proceed.  In particular. I’m not even sure whether this should go to gnucash-devel or gtx-osx-devel
>
> The jhbuild warnings have to do with jhbuild bootstrapping itself. They're normal.
>
> skip.remove("bash") isn't needed anymore, .jhbuildrc adds it only when the MacOS version is < 10.11 (i.e. no SIP).
>
> I merged a PR the other day that updates openssl to 1.1g and that seems to build OK inline so it's no longer necessary to build it separately before everything else.
>
> All of that aside, something is whacked and I can reproduce the broken moduleset path using an alternate user... but it works fine when I'm me and everything else is the same.

I found what was whacked: There was an error in gtk-osx-python.modules and jhbuild has this weird fallback mechanism where instead of reporting an error it tries to load the same moduleset from the jhbuild source directory (~/Source/jhbuild/modulesets), first stripped to the "file part" which sort-of makes sense but then with the whole URI as a filename, which doesn't at all. That of course fails and it's the error that gets reported, which isn't very helpful. My primary user id had an old version of gtk-osx-python.modules in the jhbuild sources so the problem wouldn't reproduce until I re-ran gtk-osx-build-setup.sh, which replaced it with the one in git.

Regards,
John Ralls