Building on MacOS - jhbuild difficulty

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Jan 19 16:46:32 EST 2018

> On Jan 18, 2018, at 1:26 PM, R. Victor Klassen <rvklassen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> After a few years of being too busy to try working on the code base, I thought I’d make another attempt at installing a development  version of GnuCash.  Following the instructions on https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSX/Quartz <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSX/Quartz>, I began by creating a new user, to be certain the environment wasn’t polluted by my previous attempt.
>
> I was successful in downloading gtk-osx-build-setup.sh
>
> I then ran it from the command line, and after a half-dozen or so tries, succeeded.   (prior attempts hung at 9% or less complete - I presume this is temporary).
>
> There were three warnings:
>
> WARNING: aclocal not available (usually part of package 'autoconf')
> WARNING: automake not available (usually part of package 'automake')
> WARNING: yelp-tools not available (usually part of package 'yelp-tools')
> Configuring jhbuild without autotools
>
> Are these a problem?
>
> I then pulled down http://github.com/gnucash/gnucash-on-osx/raw/master/.jhbuildrc-custom <http://github.com/gnucash/gnucash-on-osx/raw/master/.jhbuildrc-custom>
>
> At this point I attempted to uncomment the line
>
> skip.remove( “bash” )
>
> But it wasn’t in there.   So I added it, and when I attempted to run jhbuild it complained.  So I removed the line.  Is this it no longer a relevant instruction?
>
> I then attempted to run
>
> jhbuild build openssl
>
> Which yielded the response:
>
> jhbuild build: failed to parse /Users/gnucashdev/Source/jhbuild/modulesets/http:/git.gnome.org/browse/gtk-osx/plain/modulesets-stable/gtk-osx.modules: <http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk-osx/plain/modulesets-stable/gtk-osx.modules:> [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'/Users/gnucashdev/Source/jhbuild/modulesets/http:/git.gnome.org/browse/gtk-osx/plain/modulesets-stable/gtk-osx.modules' <http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk-osx/plain/modulesets-stable/gtk-osx.modules'>
>
> At which point I am not sure how to proceed.  In particular. I’m not even sure whether this should go to gnucash-devel or gtx-osx-devel

The jhbuild warnings have to do with jhbuild bootstrapping itself. They're normal.

skip.remove("bash") isn't needed anymore, .jhbuildrc adds it only when the MacOS version is < 10.11 (i.e. no SIP).

I merged a PR the other day that updates openssl to 1.1g and that seems to build OK inline so it's no longer necessary to build it separately before everything else.

All of that aside, something is whacked and I can reproduce the broken moduleset path using an alternate user... but it works fine when I'm me and everything else is the same.

Regards,
John Ralls