trial balance - how to find mismatch question

Wm wm_o_o_o at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 3 07:11:50 EST 2018

On 16/02/2018 11:24, Christopher Lam wrote:
> I like the way this is going. Please describe or file minimal data file
> cases in Bugzilla. Perhaps I'll be able to decode the trial balance and we
> can decide then what it should really do.

It is possible I've missed a detail but in RL a TB should only be for
*one* currency or commodity or for many if they are each indicated.

It is near impossible to reconcile a multi-variate TB because the
underlying values are changing as you attempt it.

The reconciliation of the separate bits can involve thinking but is the
sensible approach.  You take a view about values either before the TB
reconciliation or after, some governments have rules about this, etc.

I don't know anyone that does a multivariate [1] TB and expects it to
balance live [2].

I pull the TB's for each class and give them to the people to reconcile,
at the end we put them together. I suggest you try this approach.

I'm surprised and mildly disappointed JohnR has found it necessary to
contribute to this thread.  I think he has better things to do.

[1] more than one commodity / currency / something that changes during a
minute / hour / day / week / month.

[2] not a joke, I don't think big banks do it and they are way ahead of
little people like you or I.

--
Wm

never vote for a man like Trump if you believe in honest accounting, he
can't add up :)