[GNC-dev] Proposed updates to Wiki Build#Ubuntu pages

jeffrey black beastmaster126 at hotmail.com
Tue May 1 03:28:28 EDT 2018

On 04/26/2018 11:02 PM, Jeff wrote:
On 04/26/2018 04:11 PM, Colin Law wrote:
On 26 April 2018 at 22:04, jeffrey black <beastmaster126 at hotmail.com<mailto:beastmaster126 at hotmail.com>> wrote:

Somewhere along the way I corrupted a system image file installing all
of the dependencies.  As soon as I get caught up I am going to try to
un-install all of them and start from scratch. This time paying more
attention to any error messages.  Whatever I did affects most but; not
all of the the packages I have tried to install since.

What symptom are you seeing?  There is probably a simple fix.

If apt is complaining then often
sudo apt-get install -f
will fix it.

Colin

It seems to be that the problem starts with linux-image-extra-1.13.0-37-generic does not exist even though the system insists it is installed.  versions -36, -38, and -39 are intact.

At this time I have to figure out how to actually put -37 back before I can proceed.  Or get Ubuntu to over look it and use -38 or -39.  dpkg seems to require it, so somewhere there is a configuration file I need to change.

--JEffrey Black M.B.A.

Colin:

Sorry it took me so long to respond.

I managed to corrupt Ubuntu 16.40 so bad it would not boot. After 3 or 4 days of trying to reinstall Ubuntu I discovered it will not reinstall or do a new install on any drive that shows Ubuntu has been installed on before, even after formatting.  I ended up installing windozes on the Ubuntu drive then reinstalling Ubuntu.  Only good thing that happened is I have access to the old windoze drives again.  Just have to figure out how to either boot the Windoze drives or run Wine to get proprietary data files extracted (dll files embedded in Windoze so far prevent Wine from extracting the data).

Now that I have running server again I have to start from scratch installing network drives and printers before I can attempt a new build of GnuCash  (sorry as far as I am concerned GC insults the developers, it is GnuCash after all, show a LOT of respect to the team that designed and built such a versatile book keeping program.)  I mean who ever thought that a book keeping program can track cattle productivity.

Oh and Ubuntu 18.04 installs GnuCash 2.6.19.

Still trying to figure out all the changes Ubuntu 18.04 made.

Will try a new build after I catch up with all the books, and getting a coral rebuilt.

--JEffrey Black M.B.A.