[GNC-dev] Proposed updates to Wiki Build / Change of subject

jeffrey black beastmaster126 at hotmail.com
Thu May 3 03:23:44 EDT 2018

On 05/01/2018 01:05 AM, DaveC49 wrote:
> Jeffrey,
>
> Can you copy the cmake command you used to the forum. That looks as though
> the switch which should be preceded by a "-D"  has been interpreted as part
> of the cmake target. Each swith needs to be preficed by "-D" and followed by
> a space before any following switches. There also needs to be a space
> between the last switch and the path to the top level source directory.  I
> am in the process of updating the Ubuntu16.04 page of the Wiki accessible
> from the Build GnuCash page expanding the description a lot. The command
> format is illustrated there. I have yet to add a page on how to correctly
> relative addressing of the top level source directory for cmake for various
> locations of the build directory which seems to cause problems for new cmake
> users (it did for me initially). I will try and do that this afternoon.
>
> I would move to version 3.1 now that it has been released. I used building
> and installing it to test out the instructions on the wiki page and it
> worked fine. It has a lot of bug fixes.
>
> David
>

> -----
> David Cousens
> --
> Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-Dev-f1435356.html
> .

David:

I would love to be able to do my own builds of GnuCash.  Once a
programmer, always a programmer.  I am still old school,COBOL, Fortran
IV and 77, PL1, Pascal, Forth, IBM 360, Z80 and 8086 assembler code,
etc.  Heck, somewhere around here, I still have a 4kb (bit not byte)
hand wired iron core memory module.

Right now, after 4 days of trying to reinstall Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
unsuccessfully (and toasting 2 of the backup images), I finally managed
to install 18.04 LTS after, and only after, installing it over a fresh
Windoze 10 install.  Seems Ubuntu has an inferiority complex about doing
a NEW or REINSTALL (not update) over any version of it's previous self.

Right now, two of my main problems are that I cannot get the Ubuntu
server to play with my Windoze laptop anymore, drive sharing does not
work (had it working under 16.04).  And all of the Perl scripts I wrote
for making GnuCash imports, well just say more sociable (not yelling on
import *TPUBHD instead of "That poor Unfortunate Company") do not work
under Ubuntu, Windoze only. Windoze doesn't understand that "The" and
"the" are different.  I can work on the Perl scripts after I can get
Ubuntu to lower itself to playing fair with Windoze.

If anyone can hand hold me thru getting my Ubuntu 18.04 LTS server to
share ALL of it's drives with my poor Windoze laptop over a wireless
network I would be grateful.  USB plugs have a much shorter lifespan
than dollar bills in my my wife's hand.

--JEffrey Black M.B.A.