[GNC-dev] Gtk and themes

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Oct 19 10:20:29 EDT 2018

> On Oct 19, 2018, at 6:25 AM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:
>
> Op vrijdag 19 oktober 2018 09:43:14 CEST schreef cicko:
>> Thanks a lot for the link, Geert.
>> Unfortunately, I think the root of the problem is this: "If given a choice
>> between customization and more, better apps, I’m confident the majority of
>> people would prefer the latter."
>>
>> Well, I'm fairly confident that it is exactly the opposite. Just looking at
>> trends in mobile apps tells me that clearly the users want to customize the
>> apps to their preferences, mostly visual, rather than to have "more, better
>> app" (whatever that means).
>
> Interestingly I'm not aware of visual styling customizations in any of the
> mobile apps I use. They all seem to use the system's theme(s). I don't find
> options anywhere related to, hmm, I'd like a different font for this menu item
> or hide the label for that button, and oh, can the spacing between these two
> fields be reduced a bit ?
>
>> Also, the users clearly do not want more apps
>> that do more-or-less the same thing. Well, that just promises that the
>> debate on the topic will continue be going on, at least for a while. :)

I agree with Geert: There are no styling options on any of the Android apps I use. You get what you get. That’s pretty much also true of the Windows and MacOS apps that I use; what little theming is available is at the system level, and Microsoft has substantially *reduced* the user styling options in Win10 compared to Win7.

Regards,
John Ralls