[GNC-dev] GTK3 Mnemonics

Chris Good goodchris96 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 02:30:24 EDT 2018

Hi Frank,

In your edit of the gtk3 wiki [1], you added in part:

=== Circumvent Bad GTK3 Design decisions ===
 ==== Get Visible Mnenomics Back ====
Since GTK3.10 the underlines of the mnenomics are only visible after you
hovered the mouse over the element ''and'' pressed <code>alt</code>.

In $SCOPE/gtk-3.0/settings.ini, add a line:

<SyntaxHighlight lang="ini">
[Settings]
# Visible Mnenomics
gtk-menu-images = true
</SyntaxHighlight>

which I was glad to see as I had noticed mnemonics seemed to have
disappeared from GC 3.

I tested setting ' gtk-menu-images = true' in settings.ini (Windows 10,
GC3.1) and it doesn't seem to do anything for me.

https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/GtkSettings.htm indicates
  gtk-menu-images
  gtk-auto-mnemonics
  gtk-enable-mnemonics
have been deprecated since version 3.10.

In Windows the behaviour I see is that the first time the right click
transaction menu appears, mnemonics are NOT shown, but if you either:
  Go into a dialog, say Duplicate Transaction, a couple of times (with or
without using the Alt key (mnemonic activator))
  Or Go into a dialog, say Duplicate Transaction, and use the Alt key
  Or Use the Alt key in the right click transaction menu
mnemonics are shown from then on in the right click transaction menu.

Note for me, it is not needed to hover the mouse pointer over the element,
just hold the Alt key for approx. half to 1 second.

It seems to me that GTK3 wishes to remove any options for using mnemonics
and just turn it on using the mnemonic activator key.
Can anyone verify that or provide links that indicate how it should work?

[1]
https://code.gnucash.org/wiki/index.php?title=GTK3&diff=14720&oldid=14717

Regards, Chris Good