[GNC-dev] Gtk and themes

D sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 19 12:12:25 EDT 2018

While it is true that many users on Gnucash lists bemoan the latest theme selections, I agree with Geert, John, and the blogger that the tendency is away from such individualization. I am reminded of the wonders of dot matrix printers way back when; there was an ecstatic enthusiasm for all the new font possibilities, and for a while, every document was a riot of different fonts. Eventually, most people decided to stick with just a few fonts and get on with life...

As for the article, I was more intrigued by the comment early on that designing user interfaces with css is more for the developer set than the user base. It seems like we haven't gotten that memo, despite the strong evidence of its accuracy. Expecting users to write css to change the appearance is doomed to failure.

David

On October 19, 2018, at 8:09 PM, cicko <alen.siljak at gmx.com> wrote:

Geert Janssens-4 wrote
>> Well, I'm fairly confident that it is exactly the opposite. Just looking
>> at
>> trends in mobile apps tells me that clearly the users want to customize
>> the
>> apps to their preferences, mostly visual, rather than to have "more,
>> better
>> app" (whatever that means).
>
> Interestingly I'm not aware of visual styling customizations in any of the
> mobile apps I use. They all seem to use the system's theme(s). I don't
> find
> options anywhere related to, hmm, I'd like a different font for this menu
> item
> or hide the label for that button, and oh, can the spacing between these
> two
> fields be reduced a bit ?

Right. But choosing a different theme is a kind of visual customization, no?
Not to mention the icon packs, custom emojis, and what not. That, of course,
depends on the apps you use but I'm talking about a huge deal where I read
"visually pleasing" and "easy customization" in the description and move on.

Geert Janssens-4 wrote
> The point I wanted to make by posting this article is really this:

I think I get your point and actually agree with it, along with the point
the guy was making in that article. But I'm a developer and I've noticed
that my view is quite different to that of an average user.

My point, on the other hand, would be - the users want customizations and
that won't change anytime soon. And you can confirm that simply by
considering the amount of questions on this list referring to fonts,
spacing, colors, sizes, icons, etc.
Unfortunately.

--
Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-Dev-f1435356.html