[GNC-dev] Git Questions With Documentation

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Thu Sep 13 01:30:50 EDT 2018

> <aside>I tried to retain ch_accts.xml and ch_txns.xml in gnucash-guide.xml and simply edit the three files so that
> they became parts of a single chapter, but this resulted in mysterious “Failure to process entity chapter2” errors
> that I was entirely unable to edit away, except by copying the content of those two files directly into ch_basics.xml.
> So much for the “Use separate files and link them in docbook” approach.</aside>
 David,
You would have to declare new entities for the files you wished to include in ch-basics within ch-basics put &<entity-
name> statements in ch-basics then remove the <chapter> and <title> tags and contents at the chapter level in each of
those files as well as removing the @entity statements and any !Entity definitions for the chapters you removed from
gnucash-guide.xml. After removing the chapter and associated tags the included files will also have to fit into the
defined structure for a chapter as defined by https://tdg.docbook.org/tdg/5.0/chapter.html. That error usually indicates
a formatting problem with the tags in an included entity. Preceding error messages usually definine exactly where. The
altered files would of course have to be shifted from the Help directory to the guide directory and references in the
gnucash-help.xml removed

For your info I recently made changes to the import matcher code( Bug796778 to enable multiple selection of transactions
and assignement of a single destination account to them). I was looking for the appropriate place to document them in
the transactions section of the help manual and discovered that the importing had not been documented so I had nowhere
to put the changes into.

I started to prepare a change to the Help manual -Transactions chapter 6 covering importing from OFX/QFX, CSV, and QIF
including the changes to the import matcher, which is nearly complete and fitted in before the stub that is there for
online actions. As yet I haven't raised a documentation bug about that

If you haven't started writing the importing section, I could feed what I have done so far to you for incorporation as
you like. If the transactions chapter is going into the guide, it may be better to wait until you have shifted it and
then insert it into the new Guide at an appropriate place rather than pull it into the current master.If I do that I
think you would have to rebase to the current master to include my changes before committing your own chnages.

 John ralls may be able to advise us as to the best strategy.

David Cousens