[GNC-dev] The Next Hangup

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 13 21:55:01 EDT 2018

OK, so I thought it would be nice to look at the changes I am implementing in the documentation in PDF format, since I am rather old school, and like to see the changes in a print format.

I went to the wiki, and followed the new directions there to try to compile pdf documentation.

First, I ran ./autogen.sh, and aside from numerous warnings about a non-POSIX variable name, everything went well.

Next, I changed to build and ran ../configure, and buried in there is the message:

configure: WARNING: fop not found. You will not be able to generate PDF files.

Ah. The wiki didn’t mention anything about this; a search online indicates that fop refers to Apache FOP, and I followed directions at http://www.working-software.com/node/18 <http://www.working-software.com/node/18> to copy the various jar files into ~/Library/Java/Extensions

Issuing “make pdf” however, yielded:
Making pdf in C
fo 'gnucash-guide.fo' -pdf 'gnucash-guide.pdf'
make[1]: fo: No such file or directory
make[1]: [gnucash-guide.pdf] Error 1 (ignored)

This is repeated for each of the language trees. Digging around on the Apache FOP pages led me down some scenic paths, but nothing seemed to shed light on the problem.

Suggestions welcome.

David