[GNC-dev] Issues with FOP - PDF generation

Frank H. Ellenberger frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 01:59:37 EDT 2018

Am 14.09.18 um 03:55 schrieb David T. via gnucash-devel:
> OK, so I thought it would be nice to look at the changes I am implementing in the documentation in PDF format, since I am rather old school, and like to see the changes in a print format.
>
> I went to the wiki, and followed the new directions there to try to compile pdf documentation.

which page?

> First, I ran ./autogen.sh, and aside from numerous warnings about a non-POSIX variable name, everything went well.
>
> Next, I changed to build and ran ../configure, and buried in there is the message:
>
> configure: WARNING: fop not found. You will not be able to generate PDF files.
>
> Ah. The wiki didn’t mention anything about this;

Such dependencies are usually in a specific README.dependencies or
direct in the README[.md] file.

> a search online indicates that fop refers to Apache FOP, and I followed directions at http://www.working-software.com/node/18 <http://www.working-software.com/node/18> to copy the various jar files into ~/Library/Java/Extensions

Strange, I had only to install a package xmlgraphics-fop, but Macos
might behave different.

Result of 'which fop' returns a usable path like "/usr/bin/fop"?
Then it is time to rerun configure in your build directory, which will
add the path to the makefiles.

> Issuing “make pdf” however, yielded:
> Making pdf in C
> fo 'gnucash-guide.fo' -pdf 'gnucash-guide.pdf> make[1]: fo: No such file or directory
> make[1]: [gnucash-guide.pdf] Error 1 (ignored)

My output for branch maint, started in the root of my build directoryy:
> make pdf
Making pdf in help
make[1]: Verzeichnis „/home/frank/git/gnucash-docs/build/help“ wird betreten
Making pdf in C
make[2]: Verzeichnis „/home/frank/git/gnucash-docs/build/help/C“ wird
betreten
/usr/bin/xsltproc  --stringparam paper.type A4 -o 'gnucash-help.fo'
--stringparam fop1.extensions 1
/home/frank/git/gnucash-docs/xsl/1.75.2/fo/docbook.xsl
'/home/frank/git/gnucash-docs/help/C/gnucash-help.xml'
Making portrait pages on A4 paper (210mmx297mm)
/usr/bin/fop  -fo 'gnucash-help.fo' -pdf 'gnucash-help.pdf'
Sep 14, 2018 7:38:26 AM org.apache.fop.apps.FopConfParser configure
INFORMATION: Default page-height set to: 11.00in
Sep 14, 2018 7:38:26 AM org.apache.fop.apps.FopConfParser configure
INFORMATION: Default page-width set to: 8.50in
Sep 14, 2018 7:38:27 AM org.apache.fop.apps.FOUserAgent processEvent
WARNUNG: Unable to load font file:
file:/usr/share/fonts/texlive-avantgar/uagdo8a.pfb. Reason:
java.io.FileNotFoundException: Neither an AFM nor a PFM file was found
for file:/usr/share/fonts/texlive-avantgar/uagdo8a.pfb

So I need to reinstall a few fonts...

> This is repeated for each of the language trees. Digging around on the Apache FOP pages led me down some scenic paths, but nothing seemed to shed light on the problem.
>
> Suggestions welcome.
>
> David

Hope this helps a few steps further.
Frank