[GNC-dev] Documentation Build Oddity

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Sep 14 11:13:44 EDT 2018

> On Sep 14, 2018, at 7:38 AM, David T. via gnucash-devel <gnucash-devel at gnucash.org> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 14, 2018, at 10:28 AM, Frank H. Ellenberger <frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Am 14.09.18 um 15:57 schrieb David T. via gnucash-devel:
>>> For fullest consistency, I would opt to have each of the formats placed in their own folder, named for tehir format:
>>>
>>> epub *
>>> html
>>> mobi *
>>> pdf *
>>
>> *: Why do you want to create a directory for one file?
>
> “For fullest consistency”: if you’re going to put one format into a folder, put every one in a folder.

But in the case of HTML there’s a good reason for the inconsistency. You’re heading into hobgoblin territory.

>>> (adding "gnucash-guide” is redundant, since the folder hierarchy already separates help from guide)
>>
>> But both end on https://code.gnucash.org/docs/C/.
>> ISTR we had to name the xmls <App>-<DocType> for yelp and naming them
>> different depending on their output format would complicate the make files.
>
> My build folder hierarchy is:
>
> build
>  \guide
>    \C
>    \de
> [etc.]
>  \help
>    \C
>    \de
> [etc.]
>
> IOW, the guide and help have separate hierarchies in build. I have no connection to code.gnucash.org, and have no knowledge as to how the information is stored there. ISTM that the structures of build environments should be consistent across systems.

Sure you do, it’s just indirect via GitHub.com. If you want to see how the information is stored do a bare clone:
  git clone --bare https://github.com/gnucash/gnucash-docs.git <https://github.com/gnucash/gnucash-docs.git>
You’ll see that it’s pretty similar to your gnucash-docs/.git. For a more detailed understanding, see https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Internals-Plumbing-and-Porcelain <https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Internals-Plumbing-and-Porcelain>.

Regards,
John Ralls