[GNC-dev] webkitgtk

c.holtermann at gmx.de c.holtermann at gmx.de
Fri Sep 28 13:36:39 EDT 2018

Am 2018-09-26 15:52, schrieb John Ralls:
>> On Sep 26, 2018, at 12:38 AM, cicko <alen.siljak at gmx.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ah, that's from the period before I was born, then. :)
>>
>> Thanks for the pointers! I found out some of that in the course of the
>> night. These packages are installed but the trick is that pywebview
>> does not
>> (yet) support WebKit2. In the meantime, I'll be using the Qt5 version.
>> The more I learn about the options available, the more I wish GnuCash
>> was
>> moving to Python, not C++. :)
>> It seems that Qt5 UI can be packaged for Android. And pywebview might
>> also
>> work as a client (with Flask server).
>
> No, pywebview will never support WebKit2Gtk because WebKit2Gtk is Gtk3
> only and pywebview, like pygtk, is Gtk2-only. You need to rewrite your
> whole application for Gtk3 using pygobject.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

I realize that's my issue, too. I had my script working with
webkit. Starting a webview with gnucash imported leads to crash.
Importing
webkit2 things work. But as you wrote: the script needs to be rewritten.
I'll do that. Meanwhile I don't import gnucash and continue using
webkit.

crashes:
python3 -c "import gnucash; from gi import require_version;
require_version('WebKit', '3.0'); from gi.repository import WebKit; view
= WebKit.WebView()"
-c:1: Warning: cannot register existing type 'WebKitWebView'
-c:1: Warning: g_once_init_leave: assertion 'result != 0' failed
-c:1: Warning: gsignal.c:1683: return value of type '<invalid>' for
signal "WebKitWebView::create_web_view" is not a value type

works:
python3 -c "import gnucash; from gi import require_version;
require_version('WebKit2', '4.0'); from gi.repository import WebKit2;
view = WebKit2.WebView()"

regards,

Christoph Holtermann