[GNC-dev] How to contribute to GnuCash?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Apr 27 10:05:42 EDT 2019

> On Apr 26, 2019, at 10:55 PM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:
>
> Op zaterdag 27 april 2019 01:01:38 CEST schreef John Ralls:
>> What Geert meant is that our current engine code *isn't* particularly
>> portable, though I think that since it compiles OK on MacOS it shouldn't
>> have too much trouble with iOS either. It's a mix of C and C++ and the main
>> dependencies are Boost and Gnome Glib; the XML file backend also depends on
>> libxml2 and the SQL backend depends on libdbi.
>>
>> The public mirror for our git repository is at
>> https://github.com/gnucash/gnucash. Note that the stable branch is "maint".
>> Doxygen API docs are at https://code.gnucash.org/docs/MAINT.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>
> The devil is in the details... The engine code currently still depends on
> guile as well, which is a scripting language. Doesn't Apple impose
> restrictions on that ?
> I currently don't have a full overview of where guile is used in the engine
> code. I know the option system is heavily dependent on it, but that's
> primarily used by the report system.

There's no guile in the backends, and only a little in engine, core utils, and gnc-module for facilitating the wrappers. App-utils is heavy with scheme but that's to support application features like options and the financial functions for scheduled transactions, and price-quote is scheme. I think John's team can set up a build of just engine and the backends they want to support without swigging and so without guile. That should be enough for a companion project similar to GfA.

Regards,
John Ralls