[GNC-dev] [MAINT] Cleaning up Code (the server)

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Aug 13 12:03:14 EDT 2019

> On Aug 13, 2019, at 7:22 AM, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Code's /home got to be 91% full (177GB used).  So I started looking at
> the data hogs.  The #1 hog was Win32 builds.
>
> I cleaned out all interim (non-release) builds for 2.4, 2.6, 3-pre, and
> maint builds from 2018.  This reduced us down to 89GB used, so now
> there are only 30GB of win32 data remaining.
>
> I also found we've got about 20GB of trac backups.  We stopped using
> trac over 3 years ago.  The most recent DB backup is dated Dec 30,
> 2016.  Is there any reason to keep these around anymore?
>
> FWIW, flatpak builds are currently using 24G, so it's not ready to be
> pruned, yet.  But I suspect I'll need to learn a process to do so
> eventually.

Yay! I've been asking for you to clean up the old Windows builds for years! Now for a little preventive medicine: take a few minutes to add a cron job.

The logs directory could also stand some vacuuming, we really don't need to keep the logs around for more than a few months and they currently go back to the beginning of 2018.

If you want you could be more aggressive. We don't need to keep release builds at all, they're already all on SourceForge and the newer ones are on Github as well. If you want to keep a separate backup you could keep them somewhere offline. Maint and master builds are of marginal utility after the release they lead up to and it gets more marginal with every subsequent release. 6 months worth (two regular releases) seems about right.

Flatpak builds should follow the same logic as Windows builds. Incidentally I like the way that you've separated the flatpack build logs.

There don't seem to be any flatpak release builds. Should there be and if so should I include them in the release downloads on SourceForge and Github?

We only used trac for online code browsing, right? I don't see any reason to keep backups of that, all of the actual data are in the repositories.

So 30G for Windows builds, 24G for Flatpack builds, and 20G for trac backups = 74G. What's the remaining 15G? The repos?

Regards,
John Ralls