[GNC-dev] [MAINT] Cleaning up Code (the server)

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Tue Aug 13 12:14:45 EDT 2019

Hi,

On Tue, August 13, 2019 12:03 pm, John Ralls wrote:

> Yay! I've been asking for you to clean up the old Windows builds for
> years! Now for a little preventive medicine: take a few minutes to add a
> cron job.

eTooLazy.  ;)

Writing and testing the script would take more time than just going and
pruning every year or two.

> The logs directory could also stand some vacuuming, we really don't need
> to keep the logs around for more than a few months and they currently go
> back to the beginning of 2018.

The logs don't take up much space, but I pruned out the 2018 logs.

> If you want you could be more aggressive. We don't need to keep release
> builds at all, they're already all on SourceForge and the newer ones are
> on Github as well. If you want to keep a separate backup you could keep
> them somewhere offline. Maint and master builds are of marginal utility
> after the release they lead up to and it gets more marginal with every
> subsequent release. 6 months worth (two regular releases) seems about
> right.
>
> Flatpak builds should follow the same logic as Windows builds.
> Incidentally I like the way that you've separated the flatpack build logs.

This wasn't me; this was how the build scripts were written.

> There don't seem to be any flatpak release builds. Should there be and if
> so should I include them in the release downloads on SourceForge and
> Github?

Not yet.  Remember that right now code is sitting behind a tiny straw.
Once I can move back to my main network then we can advertise that.

I don't know why it's not building the releases.  Maybe Geert knows?

> We only used trac for online code browsing, right? I don't see any reason
> to keep backups of that, all of the actual data are in the repositories.

I don't think we even use it for that anymore.  I don't even have trac
installed.  So it's probably safe to delete.  (I'll wait for confirmation
before I do).

> So 30G for Windows builds, 24G for Flatpack builds, and 20G for trac
> backups = 74G. What's the remaining 15G? The repos?

Repos.
Wiki data (and backups)
Email list data & archives
IRC Logs (or possibly something else.. supybot's dir is 4.1G
Then little bits here and there.

> Regards,
> John Ralls

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745