[GNC-dev] OARS classification of gnucash

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Aug 22 13:50:38 EDT 2019

> On Aug 22, 2019, at 10:00 AM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:
>
> Gnome and Flathub use age rating data to classify applications as appropriate
> or not for certain groups of users. Both are using the Open Age Rating Service
> (OARS) [1] for this.
>
> I went to the trouble of filling the questionnaire for gnucash and ended up
> with this rating:
>
>  <content_rating type="oars-1.1">
>    <content_attribute id="social-info">mild</content_attribute>
>  </content_rating>
>
> "social-info" may be a bit odd, but when selecting this option, I was
> considering the AlphaVantage API key which I presume can/will be used by Alpha
> Vantage to track the user.
>
> Does anyone have remarks/issues with this classification ? If so, please
> share, otherwise I'll use this for the next gnucash release.
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert
>
> [1] https://hughsie.github.io/oars/

I don't know that it matters much, I wouldn't really expect a 12 year old to be interested in GnuCash anyway... and besides, 12 year olds know how to get around most age restrictions.

I don't think that there's anything tracking related that the Alphavantage API key gets them. They can already get the requesting IP and associate the list of requested prices with it just like all of the other price sources. That's not to say that GnuCash users who use price quotes or online banking aren't exposed to tracking, just that it's not limited to Alphavantage. It's anyway pretty minor compared to web-browser use, so I went looking for Epiphany's age rating and couldn't find one.

Regards,
John Ralls