[GNC-dev] Need help - several tests fail

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Aug 25 11:43:31 EDT 2019

> On Aug 25, 2019, at 3:39 AM, Christian Gruber <christian.gruber at posteo.de> wrote:

>>> Which means that they're not finding
>>> libgnucash/engine/test/srfi64-extras.scm or perhaps srfi64-extras.go Can
>>> you figure out why? It might help to run make with VERBOSE=1 so that the
>>> whole command is printed for each step or to switch to ninja which dumps
>>> any failed commands without being asked and is also about 10x faster than
>>> make.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John Ralls
>> It can also be an as of yet undiscovered build dependency issue (there still
>> are a few on maint).
>>
>> You didn't post any error output (or full build log) so it's hard to tell.
>> In the build logs do you find a message logging the build of engine/test/
>> srfi64-extras.go before you get your errors ?
>>
>> Geert
>>

> I fixed the problem. It is a missing build dependency. I did only call "make check" directly after generating a fresh build dir with CMake. So not every dependency of the tests has been built yet, scm-srfi64-extras is one of them. After calling "make all" and then "make check" again and after installing missing french locale, all tests run successfully now. Maybe there are even more missing dependencies, which are all built with "make all".
>
> Is this a known issue, that the test applications are missing some required dependencies in the CMakeLists.txt? I'll have a look, what is actually missing and try to fix it.

We know that the dependency tree in the CMakeLists isn't exhaustive, but Geert had the check target sorted last winter. The srfi64 tests were added after that and I guess that some dependencies got missed then. Obviously having a full dependency tree is more robust, especially if the source directory layout changes so have at it!

Regards,
John Ralls