[GNC-dev] Building on Windows

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Aug 27 12:01:28 EDT 2019

> On Aug 26, 2019, at 10:15 PM, Adrien Monteleone <adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 26, 2019 w35d238, at 11:28 PM, Sumit Bhardwaj <bhardwajs at outlook.com> wrote:
>>
>> WSL would provide a Linux binary, not a Windows binary. Is that what you are thinking of building? I am also not sure how to get GUI running for WSL. (WSL is really good tool.)
>
> That’s what I was thinking too, but maybe John knows something we don’t. If the goal of being able to build via VSCode is reached, then you can use one machine and do both builds, one for Linux, the other for Windows. I’ve not heard that the Linux version of VSCode can build a Windows binary. (would be great if it could)
>
> As for the GUI, some people have done it, though MS doesn’t support it. (even running GnuCash!) But I haven’t tried it myself. I’m just getting ready to play with Win10 for a client (I don’t use Win systems regularly anymore) so I might give it a go in a month or so.

VSCode can't build anything, it's just an editor. But it can call[1] out to the build system to do whatever build for whatever platform you like. Visual Studio is the full-featured IDE and there's a free (as in beer, Microsoft hasn't gotten *that* far down the open source road!) version [2]. There's even a Mac version[3] that's probably better than Xcode, though admittedly that's not saying much.

I don't know much about WSL, I was wondering out loud.

Regards,
John Ralls

[1] https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/editor/tasks
[2] https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/