[GNC-dev] Guide Importing Chapter rewrite Doc Bug l;'797439

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Wed Dec 4 23:49:45 EST 2019

 I am proposing the following outline for the Guide chapter on importing data
from files:

Importing Data into GnuCash
  Importing Transactions from Standardized Data Files (covers QIF,OFX,
MT940,MT942, DTAUS etc )
    QIF
    OFX/QFX
    MT940
    MT942
    DTAUS
  Importing CSV Format Data
    Chart of Accounts Export Format
    Importing Transaction Data
      Importing a Minimal CSV Data Set
      Importing GnuCash Export Format Multi-line Multi-split Data (GnuCash
Export Format)
      Importing Minimal Multi-line Multisplit Data  (minimal data to
successfully import multisplit data)
    Importing Price Data

Each section will include a sample data file with some examples of common
transactions (transfers, income expenditure) + currency transaction + stock
transaction and try to cover common problems
encountered importing transactions data with screenshots of the windows.

Some sections currently in Help re QIF, OFX etc may be better positioned
here.  In the Help manual section on importing transactions I tried to
concentrate on describing the interfaces in detail rather than the process
whereas the Guide sections I am intending to concentrate on the examples and
process.

I am not covering importing business data as there is already a section on
that in the Business section of the guide, although I am open to
suggestions.

Any comments/suggestions welcome.

David Cousens

-----