[GNC-dev] tb, gnc or me? my trial balance is wrong and I think it is gnc not me

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 23:03:17 EST 2019

Wm,  before you run off at the mouth with all your innuendos, look at facts.

Did you try running a test on one of your backups from around June 2016
using Gnucash 2.6.12 or earlier?  I think that if you do you will find that
the Trial Balance Report is correct if you scrupulously check the settings
to use the Average Price valuation method and check your price database to
be sure that the transaction generated prices are present.   John Ralls
alluded to that earlier today.

In fact, I bet you could try re-running the Trial Balance Report in release
3.4 on a current data file using the Average Balance method of valuation.
There was a period when GnuCash was not entering transaction generated
prices into the price database as Alex noted, but that was corrected some
time ago and recent prices from recent transactions are all entered in the
price database.  Granted, it will be difficult to find many of  those old
missing transaction generated prices that involve the base currency but
maybe they might get added back by using the trading accounts feature.  I
have not tried that, but it might be worth a try.   As Alex suggested,
transactions that do not involve the base currency would need to be dealt
with some other way.

David Carlson