[GNC-dev] Translation

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Feb 20 23:30:31 EST 2019

> On Feb 19, 2019, at 8:38 PM, David Cousens <davidcousens at bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> in short if come across format specifiers you should leave them in place and
> just translate any bits of the stringeither side.

Not quite.

The translator's job is to make a complete idiomatic sentence in the target language with the substitution in the right place. Unfortunately the printf format used in most of our msgids can't reorder the substitutions if there's more than one so some creativity may be necessary to produce an intelligible result.

There should be a "Translators note" comment in the po file explaining what each substitution parameter contains; if not you need to go look at the code reference to figure it out.

Regards,
John Ralls