[GNC-dev] GnuCash 3 on Linux

Wm wm_o_o_o at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Feb 24 07:13:03 EST 2019

On 24/02/2019 02:53, David T. via gnucash-devel wrote:

> While I take exception to Wm's tone and language, I agree with his overall assessment of the reports and configuration management.

I am happy to apologize to you if someone eventually takes notice.  I
will do this by paying for a meal if we ever meet in person.

> Storing configuration data separately from the financial data and on a user (as opposed to a book) basis is questionable.

Yup.

> Storing saved reports separately from the financial data and on a user basis makes no sense at all. A saved report for one file will be meaningless in another. This issue has come up many times on the lists.

Yup.

> The fact that we even need a wiki page dedicated to file and configuration locations-- let alone one as long and convoluted as the one we have (and which needs additional diagramming)-- only underscores this problem.

I don't think the person that wrote the page understood what they were
describing.  I am sure they were doing their best.

> I want to be clear that I am truly grateful that Chris has decided to work on reports, and I have great respect for his ability to work with Scheme. I've yet to succeed in either editing an existing report or getting a third party report installed on my Mac. 13 years of futility on that front!
>
> David T.

I second that, the fact that a diminishing handful of people can read
Scheme is interesting, it isn't a progressive language, the fact that
gnc is dependent on it is regressive.

I have made some small changes to a gnc Scheme report for my own
purposes but when I put them forward for inclusion they were refused.
Presumably because the person that needed to approve them didn't
understand them.  The thing I worked out was how to do "end of next
month" and similar for reports.

Sigh

David, I am always unhappy if I upset someone, I often find myself in
the situation of not knowing what else to do as no one listened the
first time.

--
Wm