[GNC-dev] GnuCash 3 on Linux

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sun Feb 24 12:18:05 EST 2019

Op zondag 24 februari 2019 17:19:09 CET schreef Wm via gnucash-devel:
> On 24/02/2019 03:12, David Cousens wrote:
> > Wm
> >
> > You could have a startup script which copied a common user config file for
> > GnuCash from a backup or other central location to each users home
> > directory and then copied it back on exit.
> >
> > On Linux the files would be those in the directories:
> >
> > /home/<user>/.local/share/gnucash  (all user data)
> > /home/<user>/.config/gnucash          (gnucash config data)
> > /home/<user>/.local/share/gtk-3.0    (gtk data)
> > /home/<user>/.config/gtk-3.0           (gtk config)
> >
> > On Windows they should be in
> >
> > c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\GnuCash or
> > c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\gtk-3.0
> >
> > OR
> >
> > c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash
> > c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\gtk-3.0
> >
> > Don't know enough about Windoze anymore to know which set is most likely
> > be used but this link has an explanation
> > https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/appdata-roaming-vs-local/
> >
> > If you only wanted to back up the reports not just all user data, you
> > could
> > just backup the
> > saved-reports-<x>.<y> from the requisite directories and just restore that
> > file from a backup or other central copy stored with the main book file.
>
> It is a lot more complicated than you think.
>
> Let me open this part of the discussion by saying:
>
> Does gnc know where it took stuff from and placed it when 3.x was run
> for the first time?
>
> We know this was a one way change but were the from and to locations
> known about and recorded?
>
> I think they weren't all known about and recorded and gnc has
> contributed to actual data loss. <-- not something I ever wanted to say
> as this was warned about and avoidable.  The warnings were ignored.

Looks like you are now lying in public... (using your own conversation style
here).

Nothing gets deleted by the migration so there can't be data loss. If the
migration was actually triggered all files from DOT_GNUCASH_DIR have been
*copied* to either GNC_DATA_HOME or GNC_CONFIG_HOME. You can look up the exact
locations per platform on https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/
Configuration_Locations. The original files are still in DOT_GNUCASH_DIR.

Regards,

Geert