[GNC-dev] GnuCash 3 on Linux

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Wed Feb 27 19:04:36 EST 2019

Wm

Diagrams are up https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations. The
wkiki markup is crude but works. I will try later to implement a scroll box
to better accommodate narrow width monitors and mobile devices. Geert
pointed out a few corrections re what are merely labels for locations and
what are actual definable environmental variables which are now
incorporated.

The original text on the wiki did not distinguish too clearly between what
were labels for locations and what can be actually set as locations. It was
there but obscure. In the diagrams these are distinguished as clearly as I
am able to.

On Linux at least those environment variables (not the ones which are merely
labels) are not created on installation. They can be and then GnuCash should
use the locations defined by them (I haven't verified this mainly because I
don't have the need to use it). In principle at least you could define
GNC_DATA_HOME and GNC_CONFIG_HOME to point to the book location or a
subdirectories of the directory containing the book.

>The problem with the gnc code for transition is that it placed no value
>on who accessed it first.

Why would it? GC is not designed as a multiuser program for a multiuser
environment. It has no user structure to define authorization levels and no
code to restrict access to specific functionality. While there is perhaps an
ambition to move in this direction longer term, it is nowhere near there
yet.

Admittedly the release notes for V3 only obliquely mention the relocation of
the user configuration location and that in hindsight should perhaps have
been highlighted more.  But it came up pretty quickly in the forum
http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GNC-Saved-Report-Configurations-Missing-After-Upgrade-to-v3-td4700786.html#a4700793
along with the cure of renaming saved-reports-2.4 to saved-reports-2.8 in
the new directory.

>The place was identifiable relative to the book. 3.x changed that.

To a place which is also identifiable relative to the book.

The changes going to V3 also make it possible (at least in principle) to
co-locate the configuration with the book by defining  GNC_DATA_HOME and
GNC_CONFIG_HOME which was not possible under V2.6.

Again you missed the point that the Save and Save As options in the reports
toolbar and menu don't or at least shouldn't save the report per se, but
save only the configuration information for a report. What level of personal
information gets saved in the configuration is not clear to me.

I can conceive of a situation where a number of books use a stock standard
account heirarchy and one configures a report to depend on that heirarchy
but if account guids are incorporated this becomes of limited usefulness wrt
the ability to transfer reports.

The report configuration should not contain the information directly and
only have pointers to locate the information which is contained only in the
book. Is that not the case?

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens