[GNC-dev] I'd like to contribute to the GnuCash project, starting with the documentation - now also development

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed Jan 9 09:29:53 EST 2019

Op maandag 7 januari 2019 18:28:20 CET schreef rob.laan at chello.nl:
> Hi,
>
> In addition to the message below, after investigating and testing the import
> business data functionality, reading the code, and registering a number of
> bugs, I decided to try and fix the bugs myself. So I assigned the bugs to
> myself, and have started fixing them locally. I have also started updating
> the doxygen information in the code. And I have created new user
> documentation for import bills & invoices. I am now in the process of
> investigating the import customers & vendors functionality, and updating
> documentation for the same.
>
> It is my intention to submit patches for code and user documentation once I
> have completed the work on both import bills & invoices and import
> customers and vendors.
>
> On my development skills, I’ve had formal development training, using Pascal
> and Modula 2, and used C to create an application on my Macintosh+, but
> that was about 30 years ago.

Interesting. My first coding experiments were in Pascal as well and at around
the same time *and* on my father's Mac SE :)

> My job was first in accounting, and later in
> IT (SAP). I did development in ABAP (the SAP programming language), but
> that was about 20 years ago. Since then, I have often done some programming
> for work or fun (in Visual Basic, PHP), but never in depth.

Have been superficially in Visual Basic (by necessity) and php as well.

> All in all, I
> think I have the skills to tackle bugs in the functional domain, and the
> common sense to stay away from stuff I don’t understand.

Sure. I'm interested to see your patches.

However I would like you to submit your work for review *before* you believe
it's completely finished. That way you can have feedback earlier on whether
the direction you're going in fits the project and potentially save you time.

I read you have already fixed a few bugs. By all means create a PR for those
fixes. You can always add more later.

Enjoy!

Geert