[GNC-dev] Full Screen oddities GC3.4, Mac Mojave

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Jan 21 11:20:51 EST 2019

> On Jan 21, 2019, at 4:52 AM, David T. via gnucash-devel <gnucash-devel at gnucash.org> wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> I have found that GnuCash 3.4 behaves idiosyncratically when using full screen mode on MacOS.
>
> When in full screen mode, GC spawns every child window as full screen as well. This is rather jarring when the window in question is a question dialog (e.g., Do you want to create a new account? Y/N). Furthermore, attempts to exit full screen mode (e.g., by pressing Escape) can cause GC to crash (Bug #797059).

The first is a design mismatch between Apple’s full-screen mode and Gtk. Gtk uses NSWindows for all top levels, including dialogs, and Apple’s full-screen mode makes all NSWindows full screen.

Escape doesn’t exit full-screen. View>Exit Full Screen does, but it’s disabled when there’s a modal dialog running, and the Edit Accounts Dialog is modal.

I tried it out just now and found that in the case where you got wedged there are two GnuCash screens, filename.gnucash-AccountName-Gnucash and New Account-Expenses-Foo. The first is black because its event loop is stopped, but hovering at the top will reveal the menu. The other is the full-screened Edit Accounts dialog box. Clicking cancel on the Edit Accounts dialog box leaves the full-screen GnuCash window black, but one can get the view menu and click Exit Full Screen. What happens next is a bit weird: The screen stays black. Using command tab to switch to another application and back to GnuCash displays the not-full-screen GnuCash on that new desktop.

Regards,
John Ralls