[GNC-dev] Pie Chart

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Sun Jan 27 17:22:43 EST 2019

Not sure which pie you wanted me to review.  I picked the Asset one for
first blush look.

1.  The Account tab scroll bar color is the same as the background color
for the selected accounts.  Makes it impossible to see the scroll bar
until moved to a non-selected set of accounts.  (Two screen shots
attached).  I haven't setup any color scheme so am using the defaults.

2.  For personal books, I have setup the "company name" as "The Butler
Family".  It didn't show on the title.  For the Balance Sheet report, I
have it setup as:

  Balance Sheet

    The Butler Family

      12/31/2019

3.  Not sure I like the default end-date to be the end of the accounting
period.  Not sure which one I prefer though:

            Today -- most times I select that.

            End Prior Month -- I think most accountants would want that
most of the time.

4.  Which brings me to a topic not specific to any of these reports.  I
know you can save a configuration.  But, then you have to remember to go
to the saved select to pick what you had previously saved.

Enhancement Request:  Make a way that the user can change the defaults
for a report and have those saved so they become the new defaults and
are picked up whenever the report is selected again.

I have been toying with doing the saved reports a different way.

A.  Tie the saved configuration to the base report (maybe via the
reports GUID).

B.  Allow multiple configurations for the report to be saved with each
having a configuration specific name/title/id or whatever.  One of which
is "Default".

C.  Allow user to update the configurations and save back over the top
of a specific named configuration.

D.  Multiple reports could each have the same configuration name -- but
would be different due to the report GUID (or whatever used to identify
the report).

E.  When report is first selected, get the "Default" configuration and
use that.  If no "Default" and there are saved configurations, then list
the saved configurations for that report and let the user pick one to be
used.  If no saved, then use the factory default.

I haven't looked at the current saved configurations to see how they are
setup so I may be totally out of line here.  My vague thoughts are this
could be an XML backend with the report ID being the major selected, the
config name the second selection, and then each set option would have
its ID/Value pairs listed.

I've even thought so far as if there were ID/Value pairs not listed but
being used by the report, it would walk back up the configuration Tree
looking at "Default" and then the factory settings to resolve a missing
value.  So far, I only see three levels to this tree:   Factory,
"Default", and "Named" config.

But, you didn't ask me for that!  What, in particular, would you like me
to review?

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com