[GNC-dev] [GNC] UK VAT and "Making Tax Digital"

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Wed May 8 09:27:03 EDT 2019

Ok checking understanding: Report options for tailored UK VAT report should
request following source accounts:

(1) Output VAT (on Sales) [Liability]
(2) Output VAT (Reverse EC Purchases) [Liability]
(3) Input VAT (on Purchases) [Asset]
(4) Sales Accounts [any type, default Income]
(5) Purchase Accounts [any type, default Expense]
(6) EC Goods Sales [any type, default Income]
(7) EC Goods Purchases [any type, default Expense]

Noting that (6) will be subset of (4), ditto (7) subset of (5).

Box 1 = (1)
Box 2 = (2)
Box 3 = (1) + (2)
Box 4 = (3)
Box 5 = (1) + (2) - (3)
Box 6 = (4)
Box 7 = (5)
Box 8 = (6)
Box 9 = (7)

It would seem the way forward would be a tailored report, requesting the 7
source accounts as above, and they will by default select accounts
according to the UK VAT template accounts. e.g. (1) preselected to accounts
with substrings "VAT" "Output" and "Sales", (2) to accounts with substrings
"VAT" "Output" "EC", etc.

Unfortunately the above strategy will not be easily generalisable to other
countries, let alone other EC VAT reports.