[GNC-dev] Release Schedule

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sat May 25 04:47:22 EDT 2019

Op vrijdag 24 mei 2019 15:58:19 CEST schreef Geert Janssens:
> Op vrijdag 24 mei 2019 15:17:59 CEST schreef Robert Fewell:
> > I'm OK with the first option but suggest instead of December with all the
> > diversions for Christmas it be the end of January.
> > Has it been decided on a minimum Gtk version for master, there are
> > probably
> > some conditional version statements that can be removed and some CSS that
> > want to change/rename.
>
> According to repology Ubuntu 16.04 ships 3.18.9. That's one of the LTS
> distros we care to support and with that probably the oldest Gtk release we
> have to support.
>
> Linux Mint has even older versions according to that same website, but they
> only list Linux Mint 17.x. The linux mint website itself suggests that is no
> longer supported. The oldest supported version is either 18, which is based
> on Ubuntu 16.04) or 3 (based on Debian Stretch). According to the above
> Ubuntu 16.04 ships Gtk 3.18, Debian stretch ships 3.22.
>
> And even Centos 7 ships Gtk 3.22 :)
>
> So it looks our baseline for gnucash 4.x will be 3.18.
> That will allow you to at least drop the conditionals for 3.12 and 3.14.
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert

In addition it would have been great to raise the minimum version of guile to
2.0.10 to eliminate all the conditionals on the availability of srfi-64.

Unfortunately RHEL7/CentOS7 only ships with guile 2.0.9 :(
The same goes for openSUSE Leap 42.3. However support for that release ends
June 30 2019, so I don't think we have to take that one into account for our
December/January release.

On the other hand RHEL8 ships with 2.0.14 (and hence CentOS7 will also) so
it's tempting to drop CentOS7 support...

Geert