[GNC-dev] Translators: Re: To colon or not to colon

Frank H. Ellenberger frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com
Sun Nov 3 18:08:04 EST 2019

Hi Bob,

Am Do., 31. Okt. 2019 um 12:11 Uhr schrieb Robert Fewell <14ubobit at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
> I have PR563 which I want to progress and it has a couple of commits that
> either add a missing colon or remove a trailing space from a label with a
> colon next to a entry widget. These will require translation changes so I
> was wondering if there is a consensus of whether these sort of labels
> should or should not have a trailing colon.

IMHO a trailing space should be seen as an input error and be fixed immediately.

In the times of command line interfaces, the colon was common to show,
the program is waiting for input.
This was also inherited in the first simple GUI's.
But as of today, there are other properties like text style to
distinguish input field labels from content, see i.e.
https://developer.gnome.org/hig/stable/visual-layout.html.en. So we
should remove them.

But because we usually add mnemonics, they will still in most cases
still be different from the base words. OTOH if we are consistent, we
should still reduce the number of translatable strings.

If nobody *protests now*, we should remove them immediately.

> Looking at other places, the job dialogue doesn't, the invoice page
> doesn't, the transfer dialogue does, the schedule dialogue also does and
> also the print dialogue mostly.
>
> I would imagine if this was consistently done it may reduce the number of
> translations a bit.
>
> Regards,
> Bob

Regards