[GNC-dev] Mouse usage in Gnucash

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Fri Oct 11 19:35:33 EDT 2019

Thanks John,

I agree totally. I am trying to settle on something which might be
intelligible or at least easily translatable to users on other OSs and
devices. Frank raised the issue with me while reviewing changes to the help
manual importing section. I tried what he suggested out but my view on the
end result is that it ends up being unintelligible to everybody and I may
yet revert it.

I am not too concerned about fairly experienced users (they will figure it
out) but the novice who comes in without too much experience of other OSs
and computers is the real target - the one who gets hung up if the
description is not exactly the way the box in front of him operates. They
are becoming rarer beasts these days once they have grandkids to educate
them properly.

I personally am happy with the left click/tap and right click/tap notation
and then let users translate that as required for their specific
equipment/OS as necessary. My son is a leftie and he has never really had a
problem translating automatically from the RH world unless the devices were
physically right handed.

The touchpads on my laptop and tablet with a touchscreen all respond to
tap/s on either side of the touchpad or on the screen as expected so the
click/tap may be the way to go. I don't use tablets too much so I'm not too
au fait with the finer points of gestures in any case. I just blunder my way
through.

David

-----
David Cousens