[GNC-dev] Mouse usage in Gnucash

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Oct 11 20:53:31 EDT 2019

I would expect that the language of ‘primary’ and ’secondary’ click is the most versatile across platforms and preferences. It allows for OS discrepancies, accounts for touch vs. click mice, and allows for handidness considerations. Of course, people using accessibility interfaces might not literally ‘click or tap’ but the concept of selection is the same. If there is an ‘all-inclusive’ term, so be it, but I’m not personally aware of one. (and getting too general might even detract from the specific communication intended)

So far, my experience with touch devices has been that ’tap/click’=primary/left-click and ’two-finger-tap/click’=secondary/right-click but that could be a MacOS thing. However, I don’t experience anything different using the same hardware in VMs with Linux or Windows so maybe it gets translated properly by the VM software. I’ve yet to use the same touch hardware with either of those OS options natively.

Now, how do you intend to describe interacting with GnuCash via a VR/AR interface where you point out in the space around you? (just kidding of course...)

Regards,
Adrien