[GNC-dev] Gnucash built from git doesn't start

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Tue Oct 22 21:55:03 EDT 2019

John,

I am curious as to what problems you have encountered installing to
/usr/local and on what Linux distributions?  I have never had any problem
installing there in Linux Mint 17, 18, 19 which presumably also includes the
Ubuntu and Debian systems they are derived from but don't know about other
distributions.  According to the Linux File Heirarchy standard this is where
user software built from source should be installed.  The "sudo make
install" currently installs the libraries, share and config files in the
expected locations as follows:

/usr/local/bin/gnucash           main application
/usr/local/etc/gnucash/environment
/usr/local/include/gnucash     gnucash heaader files
/usr/local/lib/gnucash            gnucash libraries
/usr/local/lib                           a few libraries associated with
libgnc-backend, libgnc-core-utils, libgnc-gnome, libgnc-module
                                          and libgwengui-gtk3
/usr/share/gnucash

Apart from requiring sudo privileges I have never encountered any problems
installing there since I started using GnuCash in 2010.

David

-----
David Cousens
--