[GNC-dev] What about outdated open bugs in Gnucash Bugzilla?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Oct 27 23:01:06 EDT 2019

> On Oct 27, 2019, at 2:45 PM, David Cousens <davidcousens at bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> John,
>
> Is there perhaps a need to place maintenance limits on GnuCash release
> versions,  i.e. at a specified time after release they become unsupported,
> as is bugs and all. This is more than likely what actually happens in
> practice given limited skilled developer time. As bug reports are often tied
> to a specific version, bugs could then be removed from bugzilla when the
> version they apply to becomes unsupported.  Most bugs are not show stoppers
> and those that are or are particularly inconvenient are usually fixed fairly
> quickly after release.
>
> Enhancement requests could possibly have a longer lifetime but perhaps there
> is a need for expiry on those as well. E.g. if they didn't make it into the
> next major release and you really need that feature you raise the issue
> again (or work on it yourself).

David,

We don't support old versions. If you find a bug in e.g. 2.6.21 we'll tell you to try 3.7 to see if it's still valid. That's not the same as you reported a bug 2 years ago against 2.6.18 (the current version then) and it hasn't been fixed.

Bug reports are tied to a specific version because that's the version the reporter was running when they discovered the bug, not because there's a huge difference in the code from one version to the next.

There's plenty of code in GnuCash that's more than 10 years old, so just because someone reported a bug 10 years ago doesn't make it invalid.

Regards,
John Ralls