[GNC-dev] Build error with scm-engine on current master

Christian Gruber christian.gruber at posteo.de
Wed Sep 11 18:46:13 EDT 2019

This thread is related to the build issue I encountered when finally
building PR #574 <https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/pull/574> locally.

Invoking "make all" on current master lead to the following build error
when compiling libgnucash/engine/engine-utilities.scm:

Backtrace:            1 (primitive-load-path
"gnucash/engine/gnc-numeric") In ice-9/boot-9.scm:    752:25  0
(dispatch-exception _ _ _) ice-9/boot-9.scm:752:25: In procedure
dispatch-exception: In procedure primitive-load-path: Unable to find
file "gnucash/engine/gnc-numeric" in load path

File libgnucash/engine/engine-utilities.scm is built with target
scm-engine-1, therefore the same build error can be reproduced by
invoking "make scm-engine-1" or "make scm-engine" as well.

According to PR #574 <https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/pull/574>  I
can preclude, that this is due to reusing a maint build directory, since
I built in a clean and fresh build dir.

Next I tried to build again after moving directories
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gnucash/gnucash and files
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gnucash/libgnc*.so.

After that I uninstalled my GnuCash 3.5, which was installed before from
distros package manager.

Finally I searched my whole system for gnucash directories and removed
them in /usr/local/... where I previously installed GnuCash built from
source repo.

Everytime I built in a clean and fresh build dir, but the build error
was always the same.

Finally I further investigated sources and found a maybe important
change in file libgnucash/engine/engine.scm made in commit 53f59f7.
Therefore I tried two builds at the end, one with commit 53f59f7 and the
second with commit cb50f7a, which is one commit before 53f59f7. The
result was, that commit 53f59f7 leads to the mentioned build error, but
commit cb50f7a could successfully be built.

Any ideas?

Christian