[GNC-dev] Building debian files within Docker

Dale Phurrough dale at hidale.com
Mon Sep 16 09:40:40 EDT 2019

I recommend you follow the quick start at
https://github.com/diablodale/gnucash-dev-docker#quick-start-example
The first sentence with 'docker-compose' builds the container itself, runs
the container, and the container downloads/cmake/make/test Gnucash
The next in the quick start shows how you can view the ongoing log with
'docker logs'
And then how you can use 'docker exec' to get inside the container itself
with a bash prompt.
👍

Now "inside" the container, you can do most anything you want. Caveat, not
all typical binaries are installed; as these containers are slim-installs.
If you need something not already there, apt it.
In short, for Ubuntu containers the 'debian.dockerfile' defines how the
container itself is built including that '/commonbuild' is the script that
will execute when the container is run.
'commonbuild' does all the git clone, cmake, make, and test work.

I can imagine you might want to easily pass files in/out of the container.
Use bind-mounts as an easy method.
https://github.com/diablodale/gnucash-dev-docker#volumes-and-files and see
the commented-out example in the "ubuntu 18.04" section of the yml.
You can make any number of entries following that method. For example:  -
/data/dir/on/host:/folder/inside/container

--Dale