[GNC-dev] Missing Package

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 23:41:20 EDT 2019

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 8:44 PM Stephen M. Butler <kg7je at arrl.net> wrote:

> I started from the point of building a minimal
> Disco schroot environment.  Knowing that GnC compiles in my environment
> under the full Disco set of packages but fails with the below snippet
> from the end of the string of messages, I made the presumption that the
> failure was due to a package missing in the minimal environment.
>
> Hopefully, if we can figure this out for Disco under schroot, then we
> can do Bionic in a similar environment.

As far as I know, the only difference between an "ordinary" operational
environment you build in and a chroot should be that the build chroot won't
have anything in it that you haven't carefully specified for the build. If
you watch as it starts up, you'll see it install every package specified in
your control file and all their dependencies. (N.B. To save time on
subsequent build attempts, you can manually insert packages into the
chroot. But of course then it won't be "clean" anymore.)

You might do a side-by-side comparison of the packages that have been
installed, either by examining the log from the early part of the build
process, or by opening a suspended chroot and issuing a package list
command to see what has been installed, and compare it with the same
command in your working build environment. (But your running system will
tend to have lots of extraneous packages installed.)

apt list --installed

There are several utilities, dpkg-depcheck for one example, that will watch
your build and compile a list of every package needed. You might use it to
watch your successful build.