[GNC-dev] Missing Package

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Thu Sep 26 13:49:03 EDT 2019

On 9/25/19 8:41 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 8:44 PM Stephen M. Butler <kg7je at arrl.net
> <mailto:kg7je at arrl.net>> wrote:
>
>     I started from the point of building a minimal
>     Disco schroot environment.  Knowing that GnC compiles in my
>     environment
>     under the full Disco set of packages but fails with the below snippet
>     from the end of the string of messages, I made the presumption
>     that the
>     failure was due to a package missing in the minimal environment.
>
>     Hopefully, if we can figure this out for Disco under schroot, then we
>     can do Bionic in a similar environment.
>

> As far as I know, the only difference between an "ordinary"
> operational environment you build in and a chroot should be that the
> build chroot won't have anything in it that you haven't carefully
> specified for the build. If you watch as it starts up, you'll see it
> install every package specified in your control file and all their
> dependencies. (N.B. To save time on subsequent build attempts, you can
> manually insert packages into the chroot. But of course then it won't
> be "clean" anymore.)
It took a couple of tries before I figured out I had to log into the
"source" chroot.  But I was able to run the dependency script as-well-as
the mk-build-deps step.  So my Disco chroot isn't "clean" -- but at
least I don't have to wait for them all to download and install each time!

> You might do a side-by-side comparison of the packages that have been
> installed, either by examining the log from the early part of the
> build process, or by opening a suspended chroot and issuing a package
> list command to see what has been installed, and compare it with the
> same command in your working build environment. (But your running
> system will tend to have lots of extraneous packages installed.)
I tried that.  The leading paths are different so diff reports each line
as changed.  And all those "extras" that have been loaded over the years
are just too much noise right now.

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com