[GNC-dev] Help packaging GnuCash 3.x for Ubuntu Bionic

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 00:13:33 EDT 2019

On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 11:46 AM Stephen M. Butler <kg7je at arrl.net> wrote:

> On 9/28/19 9:46 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:
> > Stephen -- I got a reply on the Repositories and Backports forum:
> > https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2427539

> > Then you can update apt in the chroot to see that the backports
> > repository is available.
> Now to figure out how to start over and remove the existing xxx-amd64
> environments.

I haven't done it yet, but it sounds fairly straightforward to blow away
the chroot

https://wiki.debian.org/sbuild#Delete_a_chroot

Just go to wherever they are installed, delete them, and you can create new
ones. Be sure you don't have suspended processes hanging around. I kept
having that happen until I changed the sbuild preferences so they weren't
persistent.

I have been trying to follow up on my theory that the sbuild fails because
of the buggy cmake version in Bionic. I found the PPA where this guy was
trying to get them to do an SRU (Stable Release Update) to upgrade / patch
the version of cmake.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cmake/+bug/1831869

but no matter what I try I can't get the sbuild chroot to load his version

I'm using this command that SHOULD point to his PPA

$ sbuild -Avs -d bionic-amd64  --extra-repository="deb [trusted=yes] deb
http://ppa.launchpad.net/costamagnagianfranco/costamagnagianfranco-ppa/ubuntu
bionic main"

But it doesn't seem to be loading his package no matter what I put into
debian/control.

SO I grabbed his package and tried to build it...

created a source directory; cd to it

$ dget
https://launchpad.net/~costamagnagianfranco/+archive/ubuntu/costamagnagianfranco-ppa/+sourcefiles/cmake/3.10.2-1ubuntu2.18.04.2/cmake_3.10.2-1ubuntu2.18.04.2.dsc

tried to sbuild...
Strangely enough that build is failing in exactly the same way. Ugh.

SO I am stymied for now. I bet it's something simple I'm not seeing because
I'm tired.

Time to rest; have an appointment tomorrow.